Need a roofer?
When we consult with future customers, they are normally comparing numerous kinds of roofing systems. We are always asked: What are the most popular kinds of business roofing? Which is much better? Which is more reasonably priced? In this post, we will cover 5 kinds of commercial roofing.
At Waltham Roofing Company, we have actually been helping customers for decades pick the best roof for their structure and their budget. We desire everybody to feel empowered when they start getting quotes from their contractors. In this short article, we break down the five most typical kinds of commercial roof together with their average expenses * and advantages.
Spray Polyurethane Foam Roofing
Spray Polyurethane Foam (SPF) is an eco-friendly roofing choice for commercial, industrial and production facilities. Spray Polyurethane Foam, more commonly described as SPF, is a product that is sprayed as a liquid so it can expand into a foam, developing a solid layer throughout an existing roof.
Learn more: Spray Polyurethane Foam (SPF) Roofing: Installation & Efficiency
While SPF roof is not the most recognized type of roof material, the innovation has actually been around considering that the early 1960s for commercial, commercial, and property centers. An SPF roofing system can be utilized in any environment, and when properly installed and preserved, can last over 50 years.
For a typical 20,000 sq. foot business roof, it will normally cost in between $4.00 and $7.00 per square foot * in products and labor to set up a typical SPF roof. This rate variety is for an SPF roofing system of typical thickness and building structure.
Find out more: Expense of a Spray Polyurethane Foam Roof System
Spray Polyurethane Roof Advantages
There are numerous benefits of SPF roof:
– Energy Efficient– SPF provides thermal, air, and wetness barriers to provide the highest R-value per inch.
– Resilient– The foam product can expand and contract with the building, decreasing the possibility of fractures and splitting.
– Seamless and Waterproof– The continuous solid surface area does not need joints or seams, eliminating the most vulnerable area for dripping.
– Environmentally Friendly– For the most part, there is very little stripping of the initial roofing– removing the need for costly roofing tear-offs and waste. The products that are utilized for SPF roof are also ecologically friendly: Zero Ozone Depleting Prospective (ODP), Low in the Emission of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), Free from Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), Ultra-Low Global Warming Potential (GWP).
Single-Ply Membrane Roof
Single-Ply Membrane EPDM Installation
Single-Ply Membrane is a reliable roofing choice for business, commercial and production centers. Single-Ply Membranes are sheets of rubber and other synthetics that can be ballasted, mechanically fastened or chemically stuck to insulation producing a layer of protection on your commercial facility.
While Single-Ply Membrane Roof is one of the most popular types of commercial roofing material, there are a number of types to fit your budget and center requirements. For a typical 20,000 sq. foot commercial roof, it will usually cost between $3.50 to $7.50 per square foot for EPDM and $3.50 to $6.50 per square foot for TPO *, including materials and labor warranty.
Check out More: Expense of Single-Ply Membrane Roofing
Single-Ply Membrane Benefits
If effectively installed and maintained, a commercial single-ply membrane roofing system can last 30 years. There are many other benefits of single-ply membrane roofing systems:
– Proven Performance History– EPDM roof has actually been used for industrial flat roofing for over years. This quantity of time on the marketplace has actually permitted various lab and field studies to be performed and tracked.
– Customer Choice of Insulation– Since single-ply membrane roofing does not include the insulation factor, as a client you have more options to pick from to insulate your center’s roofing system.
– Class A Fire-Rated– TPO membranes and EPDM can achieve Underwriters Laboratories (UL) Class A fire resistance listings by adding fire retardant chemicals throughout the production process.
– Reflective or Absorbent– TPO is typically white and highly reflective. On the other side of the spectrum, EPDM is typically referred to as “Black Roofing systems,” due to the natural dark color of the membrane.
Metal Roofing is one of the earliest industrial roof on the marketplace. The majority of metal roof utilize corrugated galvanized steel, although other materials such as aluminum or tin can also be used.
Because metal roofing product is rather light in weight, it can be set up right on top of the existing roofing system. After a metal roof is set up, a finishing can be included for waterproofing, rust protection, and UV defense.
For an average commercial roofing system, it will generally cost in between $5.00 and $10.00 per square foot * in materials and labor to install a typical metal roof. This rate variety can alter depending upon the type and design of the metal panels you pick.
Metal Roof Advantages
If properly installed and preserved, a business metal roof can last 40 years. There are rather a few other advantages of metal roof:
– Design– Range of material and color choices.
– Stability– Ability to hold up to high winds and snow.
– Energy Efficient– Sheet metal can be made from recycled product.
– Fire Resistance– Metal panels are less susceptible to fire damage and do not promulgate fire occasions.
Shingle roofing is mainly known for homes and domestic roofing, however shingles are very frequently used for steep slope business roof applications. Shingles can be constructed of a couple of different products, consisting of wood, slate, metal, plastic, ceramic and composite material such as asphalt. There are 2 main kinds of shingles: Asphalt and Architectural.
Asphalt Shingles: most typical, cost-effective shingle on the marketplace utilized for applications. These roofing systems frequently include 15– 30-year service warranties on average.
Architectural Shingles: multi-layered and much heavier to add sturdiness and weatherproofing to the structure. Frequently features “life time” service warranties.
For an average business roof, it will usually cost in between $2.50 and $5.00 per square foot * in products and labor to install a typical shingle roof system. This price range can change depending upon the type and style of the shingles you choose.
Shingle Roof Advantages
Some benefits of industrial shingle roof consist of:
– Style– Wide variety of colors and designs
– Long lasting– Some types of shingles are class IV hail rated
– Easy Repair work– Easy to spot and repair little areas of damage
Tar and Gravel Roof
Built-Up Roofing Systems have actually remained in use in the U.S. for over 100 years. These roofing systems are typically referred to as “tar and gravel” roofs. Built-up systems are set up by alternating layers of asphalt or tar and supporting fabrics directly onto the roofing system. You can pick the variety of layers (or plies) that are installed. The final layer of a built-up roof consists of stone or gravel.
For a typical industrial roofing system, it will typically cost in between per $5.50– $8.50 square foot * in products and labor to install a typical built-up roof. This cost variety can change depending on the materials you select.
Built-Up Roof Advantages
If correctly set up and preserved, an industrial built-up roofing can last 40 years. There are a few other benefits of built-up roof systems:
– Seamless and Water resistant– The constant strong surface area does not require joints or joints, removing the most vulnerable location for leaking.
– UV Rays– provides ultra-violet protection.
– Low- maintenance– Very little maintenance required after installation.
As you can see, there are a lot of choices when checking out a new industrial roofing system. Each of the 5 kinds of commercial roofing has their advantages and drawbacks, picking which one is best comes down to a customer-by-customer basis.
Waltham Roofing Company. installs sustainable and effective roof systems for commercial, industrial, manufacturing and courts